Monday, June 8, 2009

"Cause every little thing gonna be all right..."

I visited the States for a short, but much needed break, at the end of April. Since my return to Jamaica have felt renewed and refreshed. I am so sorry for not writing for so long, especially with my last post being a bit of a downer. Since Tavoy's passing I have grown closer and closer to his brothers, especially Andrew :) I try and visit with him each day at the very least giving him a big hug and when I am able I will take him out of his chair for a "lift up." I will put him on his belly across my lap and he will flail his arms and legs around laughing the entire time. He is becoming quite spoiled and will pout and cry if I tell him I can't stay to feed him or I only have time for a quick hug.
Andrew and I hanging out at Sports Day! I tell everyone that time in Jamaica is on fast forward. A week goes by in the blink of an eye. I guess that explains how I have already passed the halfway point of my time here in Jamaica. Before I went home I wasn't sure if I would even be able to make it through my last six months, but now I wish time would slow down. There is so much more to do before I leave and even more importantly there are so many children that I know I will never come close to spending as much time as I would like with. Although many of them share similar diseases and diagnoses they are all so different. After spending 7 months with them you know exactly who wants to be rubbed on the head and who wants to be kissed on the nose and who just wants to just have someone sit next to them and hold their hand. We have some volunteers staying with us for a month and one of the things they have been really touched by and it's something I have always thought is so beautiful is that so many of our children-- even the ones who were left for dead-- miss and love their mothers. I walked up to Nyron last week and said "what's up?" And his simple response was "I want to go home." I said "Home to where?" And he said "Home with my mother." This is coming from a severely disabled young man who was left by his mom to care for his even more severely disabled brothers. I have had many more conversations like this one with other residents too. There is no doubt that my favorite part of being a nurse is the listening part. I am glad I have had this time to realize how important listening and talking with patients is. I am nervous that when I return to the States and get a "real job" I will no longer have the time and opportunity to just sit and be with patients. I have learned entire life stories from some of the elderly (Golden Agers) who visit me at the clinic for blood pressure checks and free medication. Just a couple weeks ago one of my regulars, Mr. Brown, told me he used to be a Rastafarian with dreadlocks reaching all the way past his bottom! Now, with his short hair and outgoing personality he encourages the people he lives near to stop smoking marijuana and become Christians! Many of the Golden Agers live all alone and are very lonely, so their weekly visit with me offers them a chance to spend time with other people their age as they wait to see me and then chat with me while I take their blood pressure and ask how they are feeling. Spending time with Kevon (top) and Jerome (bottom) during their break from school. Both boys LOVE hugs! Thank you to everyone who has continued to think about me and pray for me as I continue my journey here in Jamaica. Although there are difficult days, I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to learn so much and be emerged in such an exciting culture! I continue to learn more and more about myself as well and hopefully the lessons I learn will help me when I return home in October. I am attaching a link to a recent publication from the Catholic Medical Mission Board that one of my blogs was featured in! Take a look if you have some time! http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/Newsroom/ViewAttachment.aspx?SiteName=CMMB&Entity=PRAsset&AttachmentType=F&EntityID=112451&AttachmentID=456f0d62-ad7d-4f77-878f-148349aa1748&NewWindow=True Peace and Love!

2 comments:

Courtney Pastor said...

congrats sarah! the layout is beautiful! i'm so proud of you! you're in my thoughts and prayers, much love sista!

meta said...

beautiful post! we're praying for you!